Thursday 4 October 2007

Kangaroos at Dawn


After driving a mammoth 6 hours from Sydney, we decided to break up the journey to Melbourne and stop at the seaside coast of Pambula. Our accomodation was without a doubt one of the best so far - a small beach front cabin with ocean views, so close you could hear the waves crashing with little effort.
Upon hearing from the friendly owners that kangaroos often frequent the beach front in the morning, we set our alarm for 6am the next day.
I admit I was a little too eager and woke up at 5.14 - like a small child that cannot wait for Santa. Dragging James out of bed - actually I'll make this factually correct. The words 'James, James, there's a kangaroo' got him up and ready faster than I've ever seen. No surprises - the sight was spectacular. We actually found a whole family of kangaroos bouncing around the caravan park (dawn is when they are at their most active). Above you can see a couple of the males with James standing in the background.
The sunrise was yet another breathtaking highlight, made even more spectacular given the fact that it was just us and the seagulls on the beach (See blog post above).

1 comment:

Dip in Japan said...

oh my God. When I close my eyes and think about what Australia must be like, this is what I see!